Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy not taking. XP pro clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeetofClay

Technical User
May 2, 2002
GB
having a nightmare with this. would be so grateful if someone could help.

Windows 2000 server SP4 DC (only server in domain)
running AD, DHCP, DNS, using a proxy server on ISDN

20 XP pro SP1 clients - laptops using an Avaya wireless network.

System is currenty using roaming profiles. This works OK but users are restricted users & hence I cannot set the proxy server in the LAN settings so they can access the net. Also I want to use group policy to be more selective about what the users actually get.

I want to use 1 group policy to add the property in the IE settings for the proxy server and re-direct My Documents to a share on the server (this I am hoping will server to reduce log on times which are currently about 5 mins)

I have set a Group policy to do these 2 things but the policy is simply not being applied. The GPO is set across the entire domain for all users. I have run SECEDIT on the server to force a group policy refresh immediately and run GPUPDATE on several clients. No change....!!?

Is there something more i need to do to have thiis policy apply across the domain?

would you analysis the related records in the "Event View"?

>(this I am hoping will server to reduce log on times which >are currently about 5 mins)

Is DNS correctly setup?

i concur with ashpp,
more than likely it has to be a DNS issue

Thanks for the response

I have beeen a bit suspicious of DNS, but I thought the clients were logging on slowly cause of the roaming profiles.

I recently adjusted the LAN properties on the clients to use the Cisco router (proxy server - which appears to be a DNS server also) as a primary DNS, they use an external server as secondary DNS.

The Win2K server uses 2 external DNS servers.

The service is running OK on the server but there are the following errors:

error 5781 16/09/03
Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records failed because no DNS servers are available. (system log)

error 4004 06/09/03
The DNS server was unable to complete directory service enumeration of zone wireless.local. This DNS server is configured to use information obtained from Active Directory for this zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly and repeat enumeration of the zone. The event data contains the error (DNS log)

Since then I have only normal messages saying the DNS service started OK.

Going by the first errror - does it mean that the server cannot find its way out through the proxy to the external DNS servers...?

Hmmm... bugger.

Should I have the primary DNS on my server (in IP properties) set to the server itself?

Should all the clients have their primary DNS set to the server?

Is this why my GPO is not working?

...doh...if so I shall be beating myself with a stick later :-s

XP clients must point to your internal DNS server this server is then configured as a forwarder to your ISP this will speed up logon and fix GP problem.

!!A good cup of Tetley keeps the madness at bay!!

Yes the sever should point to itself.

!!A good cup of Tetley keeps the madness at bay!!

I shall be drinking several gallons :d

Thanks for your help all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back