Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group policy not being passed to client workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwei

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
Hey guys, I'm trying to test out some group policies for my domain but am having some troubles with getting the policies to take effect on the workstations. Heres what I have and am doing. Domain controller with a new OU setup to test some policies out. in the OU I have added a user. I have changed some of the GP settings in that OU (just disabled desktop icons as a quick test). I gave that user admin privs so they could log onto the DC, then loged off, and logged on as that user, everything works fine. Ok great! So I then goto the workstation which is a memeber of the domain, log on as that user, logon works fine, but the policies have not taken effect. The "no override" setting is checked in the policies for the OU of the test setup. I'm not sure what I am missing here to get the policies to be implemented on client machines. Anyone see anything obvious, or even not so obvious? Thank you much.

Justin

I have a friend who works IT and ran into a similar problem with OU-based Group Policies on 2000, and it was DNS related. I hope this at least send you the right way.

Charlie

thx for the tip Charlie, I dont think I have DNS configured properly, never even thought of that, dont know how it could be causing this problem but thats why I'm having the problems!: ) More comments welcome!

Justin

Hi I had similar problems when I first set up server 2000 XP clients. It was DNS taht was the problem sort that and your clients will pick up the policy.

Policies for Domain Controllers are refreshed, by default, every 5 minutes, and every 90 minutes for workstations. These intervals are configurable via Group Policy itself. Windows 2000 uses the secedit.exe tool to refresh machine and user policies. Windows XP and above use gpupdate.exe to perform Group Policy refresh operations. Depending on whether the policy was machine or user, I suspect it will be in effect by the time you read this. Jim - Synnex Info Tech

check the group policy permissions, only "read" and "apply group policy" of users you want to apply the policy to have to be flagged for working fine..

good luck!

Mosce

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Im away from the test DC right now, so I'll give it a try as soon as I can. Appreciate all the advice!

Justin

I worked a call today with the same problem. If the service records are missing in DNS, or if the client isn't pointing to a DNS server in the domain that has access to those records, the policy will not apply. I wooda thunk differently - but it's true. I tip my hat to Charlie. Jim - Synnex Info Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back