Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy - login script does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hem

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2001
GB
Guys

I sent out a plea on 31st December with the following points:
Environment:windows 2000 server and windows 2000 client
The windows 2000 server had Active directory installed. I created a single OU, I wanted users in that OU to run a logon script. I craete a user in that OU. Give security access to the users so that it can read and apply the Group POlicy of the OU.

I make othertchanges in the group policy like hide all icons on the desktop, run a program after logon or start up. These are all applied and work, but my logon script still does not work!

Where else do I put the logon script. I have put it in in user configuration\windows\logon and pointed it it there. Is there anywhere els??

Can someone step by step help??? If I put the logon script on the user account profile it will work, but I don't want to keep typing this in each time I create a new user in the OU. I would like to just like to have it at the OU level. Can someone explain?????? PLEASE

or do I have to put it in the group policy as well as the user account then that defeats the purpose of administration???

HELP!!!

Hem

hemaraj5@hotmail.com

Where is the login.bat file on the server?

Have you shared the folder that the login.bat file is in?

Are you keeping the login scrips in the netlogon share (winnt\sysvol\domain.name\scripts)? I have had similar problems where parts of group policy were resolved and parts not. The problem was that the AD components were not always being resolved but W2000 workstation was using a cached profile for most things and so it looked as if they were. The login script though is not cached and would intermitantly not run. In our case the problem was Active equipment blocking DNS resolution and when changed all worked OK. DO you use 3Com kit?
In the group policy how do you refer to the path containing the login scripts? Is it UNC format? Try logging in as a user that has not logged in before on a particular workstation and see if all other group policy settings are applied. There is also event viewer that can be checked for DNS errors on the workstation.
Ta,
AndyMac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back