Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy Login/Logoff Scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mousejock

MIS
Sep 30, 2008
CA
What I am trying to do is create some Group Policy objects that will force certain batch files to execute at logon and/or logoff.

Here is what I have done:

1. Created a security group with the users I want to run the script.

2. Created a GP Object and set it to only apply to that security group.

3. Added the batch file (which is in the Netlogon share) to the GP Object under User Configuration/Windows Settings/Scripts/Logon

4. Linked the GP Object to the domain.

5. Run GPUPDATE /FORCE

Unfortunately, it's not working. The batch file is not executing. I have used Group Policy Results to verify that my test user (me) is having the policy applied, but the batch file is not running.

What is running, is the default SBS batch file that is setup on my user profile tab. (the one that makes sure you get all your SBS client files, etc.)

What am I missing?

No. The scripts aren't even starting... it's not even getting to the point where that would be an issue.

For example, if I wrote a batch file that simply said:

cls
echo off
echo hello, this batch file is executing
pause

it would not execute.

Have you taken the restrictions off and seen if it runs?

Resolved this... I was being an idiot... you miss one little thing and wham!

login script ending in .txt?

I've been there a few times :)

Haha... actually it's just that I expected to see a little CMD window at login... like what happends when the user profile script runs... but I guess it executes them quietly in the background, with no open window somehow, when you do it in GP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back