Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy for Windows Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedone

Vendor
Sep 28, 2006
AU
We're in the process of building a Win7 image to be deployed. I want to configure Windows Defender via Group Policy to disable it completely but can't seem to even load the .admx file.

On a W2K8R2 DC I create a new GPO, go to "Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates: Policy definitions (ADMX files) retrieved from the central store", right-click and select Add/Remove Templates and browse to the SYSVOL folder where WindowsDefender.admx is located along with other .adm, .admx and .adml files but all I can see is .adm files.

If I manually type WindowsDefender.admx I get the error "WindowsDefender.admx is not a valid template file. Only files that end with the .adm file extension can be added to this Group Policy Object"

I've found a few people saying it matters where the .admx file is located but no matter where I store it I get the same error.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Have you tried disabling it directly?
windows components - windows defender and disable defender, monitoring and routine action?

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back