Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy for Registry Change 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJCopa

Technical User
Aug 7, 2003
GB
Good Morning All!

I'm trying to remove the Printer notification bubble, that appears on PC's running XP Pro SP2. I found a registry hack, which I have run on my PC which works (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Settings\EnableBallloonNotificationsRemote REG_DWORD 0).
I would now like to roll this out as part of a Group Policy, but not sure if it is possible.

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

You can always put it into the login scripts as an alternative.

Thanks for the quick response aP1612!

Have you any idea on how to apply a change via a login script?
I've mapped network drives, but that's about it.......

Cheers!

Create a .reg file with the registry settings
(best way is to use regedit to export the registry key to a file)

In the login scripts just add

regedit /s <reg file>

the /s switch runs it silently so users dont know. As long as the reg file is in the NETLOGON share it should pick it up no problem

Cheers for that ap1612!

I'm sure that would work fine for individual keys, but because my setting is in the printers section, i can only export all the info in there (network printers that are available to me, not to everyone).

However, I didn't know how to do this before, so have learnt something!
If there is a way to either export a single DWORD value, or run a GPO that would be great.

Thanks.

You can edit the .reg file (using notepad) and choose what keys you want in there. Delete all the bits you dont need.

regedit would then merge the file into the registry overwriting the keys you want or adding new ones. (it wont delete existing keys)

in your case all you should need is

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Settings]
"EnableBallloonNotificationsRemote"=DWORD:00000000

That would add the above key to the users settings and the rest would remain untouched.

Hello!

I'm still unable to get this working - Must be doing something wrong!
I've exported the reg entry so it looks like :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Settings]
"EnableBallloonNotificationsRemote"=DWORD:00000000

Saved (printernotification.reg) and put in Netlogon folder on our DC.
Created a batch file with just following entry in it:

@echo off
regedit /s printernotification.reg

Added the batch file name to my profile on AD. When I logon I see it flsh up for a millisecond, but checking Regsitry shows no changes.

Thanks.

try it with dword in lower case. Might sound silly but I think the case matters!!!

Thanks again AP1612. It's still not working, but I have an answer now.
The hack I had, said set it needed to be setup as a DWORD value. However, you are unable to import DWORD values - Only Binary values (apparantly!). Deleted Key in registry and set back up as Binary, and now printer notification has stopped.

Thanks for all your help on this - Musch appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back