Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy for Network Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtownlady

MIS
Nov 21, 2002
US
Under XP SP2, is there a setting for the Group Policy that will force the 'file and print sharing' to be enabled under "Network Connections"? There are firewall settings under Computer Configuration. But we have deployed 50+ workstations with XP SP2 and we discovered we need the 'file & print sharing' enabled. I cannot locate a script that may perform this function either. Thanks!

Apply a group policy to under
Computer Configuration>Administratrive Templates>Network>Network Connections>Windows Firewall>Domain Profile

there is an Allow File and Print Sharing exception. That will fix your problem.

You can access this setting in GPO by installing the Group Policy Management snap-in on a WinXP machine.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

It cannot be done either through a registry edit or through a Group Policy object.

The Windows Driver Development Kit SDK has an example script that needs to be compiled to do this. Fortunately others already have compiled this for you.

. What is required in the logon script:
snetcfg.exe -v -u MS_Server
snetcfg.exe -v -l %windir%\Inf\NETSERV.INF -c s -i MS_Server

. Documentation/Discussion:

. Download the XP version of snetcfg from here (note it is hyperlinked in the second line):

Bill...

there is a GPO object to enable the firewall exception for File and Print Sharing, is there not?

I have the same option as fuller above showed, in my Group Policy Management snap-in.

CCNA

Firewall exception.
It does not enable the Workstation or Server service, or more generally, it does not enable File and Printer Sharing in Network Connections properties.

I think that's what he wanted, was the Exception to be enabled.. but I guess he can clarify further so we better understand.

CCNA

No, he wanted the box checkmarked in Network Connections: "Under XP SP2, is there a setting for the Group Policy that will force the 'file and print sharing' to be enabled under "Network Connections"?" He stated that the firewall exception under Group Policy he had already done.

Enabling File and Printer sharing is non-trivial, and cannot be done through a Group Policy object.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We do need the 'file and print sharing' enabled on the network connection itself. The firewall exception does not help. We are using the ISA2004 firewall client. The script will do the job. Thanks!

ok.. yeah they said there was a setting under the firewall.. didn't say what that related to his needs.. glad ya got this working gtownlady.

CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back