Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy Editor and WSUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

PnZrFsT

MIS
Oct 13, 2005
US
Well, here's my situation.....

I'm attempting to setup my WSUS server for a company that has roughly 100 computers on its network. I've worked the bugs out with getting the right ports opened on my test client, and was able to get it to work fine. My problem is that I can't seem to find a way to add multiple computers into my group policy editor and edit the windows update settings on all of them at once. I've tried a few different paths, but I'm only able to add one client at a time and I am only able to edit the policy for that individual computer. It seems rediculous that I would need to manually open the ports on each of the 100+ computers and then add and edit them one-by-one in the GPO editor. Does anyone know of a way to add and edit multiple computers?

Cliff Notes: Unsure of how to add and edit multiple clients at once in GPO editor

what do you mean with add and edit in GPO editor??
Just apply the GPO in an OU for wks and create another GPO for server (not auto reboot/download)

What I mean by add and edit in group policy editor is just that. In order to get access to each client in WSUS, I need to apply the wuau.adm template for the computers in the network. By using this template, I am able to edit the windows update settings on the clients and point them to the WSUS server I have created to look for the updates. As for your solution, do you care to elaborate? I'm a little confused by what you are telling me to do. I don't have a GPO to apply, I simply have a template I am applying to each computer and editing the settings it gives me. Thanks for your help

What he means is....

Its sounds like what you are doing is incorrect. It sounds like you are trying to edit the GP on each machine. This is wrong. What you need to do is create a new GPO on the server, link this GPO ot an OU containing the computers that you want to use WSUS, and editing that GPO instead of editing the policy on each machine. After configuring the GPO on the server, when each workstation logs in, it will import the settings from the GPO on the server to the policy on the workstation.

I suggest a utility called Group Policy Management Console which can be downloaded and installed on your workstation or a server. This is a good utility to edit and create new GPOs on a server

Additionally, used the correct way, you would only have to import the wuau.adm template onto the server instead of each machine.

Hope this post was helpful

Justin

THanks Justin, I think I understand now. My only problem now is that I'm running server 2000 and GPMC requires that I be running XP SP1 or server 2003. What should I do now?!

*edit*

I forgot to add that the WSUS server is running server 2k, but it is not the domain controller. The clients I am attemtpting to add to the WSUS server connect to a domain controlled by server 2003

I have mine on both my PDC 2003 server and my personal xp pro workstation. It doesn't matter. It is only a utility.

Justin

I forgot to add that the WSUS server is running server 2k, but it is not the domain controller. The clients I am attemtpting to add to the WSUS server connect to a domain controlled by server 2003"

I am taking this statement to say that you have PDC that has Windows 2003 server on it. You can install GPMC on that machine. It doesn't have to be on the WSUS Server.

Do you have any machines with XP on your network? Again, you can install GPMC on those machines.

In case I was incorrect about my assumtions, I guess your stuck doing it the old fashion way.

1. Click on Active Directory Users and Computers
2. Create an OU
3. Stick your computers inot OU
4. Right Click on the newly created OU and hit properties
5. Click on Group Policy Tab and hit edit
6. If needs be, import your wuau.adm
7. Set your settings for WSUS

Thats the way to do it without having GPMC. If you can find a server or workstation with XP or 2003 Server on it and load it.

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back