Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group policy download and import?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantera8

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2003
US
I am running into a problem were, I went to a work station and installed the adminpak for xp and I was able to change the administrator password. Now keep in mind this was a users computer that should not have that kind of access. Now this particular user is a member of domain users group. So I have a few questions.

1. Can you import already made group policies into an OU?
2. If so is there a good place to download already made group policies?

Thank you for your help.

Some people are nice, and some people are mean. I am nice....

i guess what you are referfing "import" in GPO is link, so , u just go ahead link the GPO to the OU you want. that's it.

if you are domain admin and logon any workstation, you still have domain admin priviledges, er?

---------------------------------------
Sr. Directory Services/Exchange Consultant

I'm sorry I was not clear. Can you download already configured GPO's from the internet, and then import in to your domain?

pantera8,

I don't think that's possible, and definitely not recommended. You should definitely be creating your own gpo's so that the options you want are the only ones being set.

-Andrew

I will need to disagree with you guys.

First off the answer is Yes, it is possible to Export/Import entire GPOs and settings using GPMC. Since you are using Windows 2003, you will need to do this from an XP machine since GPMC can only be installed on Windows XP or Windows 2003.

Exporting your own policies is a good way to save backups of them in case you ever want to roll back to a previous version of a policy. This is a very handy tool.

Microsoft offers prescriptive architecture for both Small and Medium Businesses and as part of that they offer a number of preconfigured policies to help lock down security.

I am sure that ACL03 and benlu were referring to downloading policies from unknown or untrusted locations and with respect to that I would agree with them.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Yeah, if it's coming from microsoft that may be ok...

Yes that helps, thank you.

Would anyone have a link to microsoft's website for this?

Thank you

Pantera8, configure your own GPO is much better. At least you know what you did if something goes wrong.

I will put this in a test environment before I go live with it. I would just like to see what kind of pre configured GPO’s they have.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back