Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy does not take affect on an entire subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvee

Programmer
Aug 1, 2000
US
I have a computer set up so that visitors can surf our company website. This computer is also used by employees, on occasion, to check email, create a word doc, etc. So, it is connected to our domain. I would like to lock the Guest account down so that it does not have any local or network access.

I created a Group Policy and applied it to this account which resides in an Org. Unit. I tested the GP in Seattle and it worked GREAT! I brought the computer to a different office which is on a different subnet connected via T1s. The Group Policy does not get applied at all.

I am pulling out my hair!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Megan

Did you apply the GPO to the OU? this may seem a silly question but isnt really! Also ensure that the GPO is enabled and one of your colleagues has not disabled it!

Hi again,
also is the pc in the same OU now as the one previously? If it is not the GPO u applied will not take effect over the whole domain, so u must ensure it is applied to the relevant OU.

Regards Tam
P.S I do my best with the information provided!

Tams -
Thanks for your response.

I have applied the GPO to the appropriate OU. The user "IHGuest" is in this OU. I want the GPO to take affect when the IHGuest user logs on.

The Computer account is in a different OU. There is no GPO associated with this OU.

When the computer was in Seattle and I logged on as IHGuest, the GPO was applied. When I moved the box to a different office on a different subnet, the GPO is no longer applied.

I did not move the user or computer account into a different OU when I physically moved the computer to a different office.

Could it be something that is set on the Domain Controller in the different office?

Active Directory is exactly the same in the 2 offices, so I'm not sure where to look.

Could it be a permissions issue somewhere?

Thanks again,
Megan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back