Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GROUP POLICY DEPLOY OF OFFICE - RETAIL NOT ENTERPRISE

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate2345

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2004
US
We bought 20 retail copies of Microsoft office 2003 for 20 users. So obviously we'd rather install it via group policy - but how do we overvome the product activation issue and anything else which might get in the way? What would you suggest.

Thanks
Nate

I've been working on this for a few days now. I seems that there is no real good way to do it. I used to have Office 97, so I purchaced the upgrade. The upgrade needs the location of a pervious version in order to install. I havn't been able to find a way to prepopulate this value. This makes it simply not work. I also have office XP Pro retail. This doesn't work as the Custom Installation wizard says it's not allowed to use the MSI for XP pro. I'm getting pretty pissed. I bought some 30 coppies of this software and I can't even use it!

- Anthony

Please let me know if you come up with anything else.

Thanks,
Nate

Possibly use RIS and/or disk image Ghost etc, to include your Office Install? But this would only work with a full OS build/rollout vs. current workstation upgrade or office only install. Retail version is not compatible with CIW etc. from Office Resource Kit Deployment tools req. for Group Policy Deploy...

What about running an administrative install of office to a network share, and then creating a batch file to install it. You could then even use the batch file as a logon script?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back