Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy Computer Config not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioX

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2001
US
I am working on group policies and my policies for the users are working fine but when I go to set them for the computer they are not taking. What could be happenning.

Thanks
Ron

Have you run a GPRESULT to see if the computers are recognizing the policy's existence? What policies are you editing?

If I go out to a command prompt and run gpresult it says it is not a recognized command. I am just trying to edit some of the security policys so I can log when users are logging in and out of their workstations. I may go into some internet explorer settings also if I can get this working.

sorry about that, I forgot GPRESULT is from the resource kit. One thing you can check on is the validity of the Group Policy Template in your DC's Sysvol share. Find out the GUID of your policy, go the Sysvol share on your server, and drill down to that GUID folder, then go into \Machine\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Secedit and open up the template file in there. Check to see that the changes you made via AD Users and Computers went into this file. Here's a good article to start with
Also, double check your DNS settings, and if you can get a hold of that GPRESULT tool, it is very helpful.

I looked into that file and everything is updating fine. The policys for the usersettings are working it is just for the computer settings that are not working. Odd problem

Maybe policy inheritance is blocked somewhere along the line? Have you checked this.

I was going to say, make sure all the machines are registering themselves in DNS as a similar problem was caused to my network where the WINS data was not being replicated to DNS... hence AD ignored those machines and G.Policy fell flat on its face.

It is bizarre

Hope you sort it
Tels
Mixed Linux/Win2000 Network Administrator

The setting for computer part of the policy may be disabled.

When you set a policy on a computer, you must reboot the client to acquire the policy. The user ones require just a logoff logon to acquire the policies.
It can yake a while to replicate the changes, you might have to wait an hour and then reboot the client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back