Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy change causing slow login 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwinstead

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2002
US
Please, I hope someone can help me...
Last Friday (this is Monday), I changed the Domain Security Policy on our Windows 2003 Std Server to allow some Win2k printer drivers, and now, Monday, everyone has a delayed login. Right before the login box, the computer (Win2k and XP) hangs on the "Applying Security Settings" message for at least 2 minutes. Before today, it never would hang there at all and the login would be very zippy.

Can anyone help me completely reset the security policies on my server? Its the Domain Controller, and the aforementioned policy is all I changed, and now this.

I'm completely lost as to what else may have caused this slowdown, and its SUPREMELY frustrating.

Thanks for any help!!

<<<<[flux]>>>>

Did you try changing the settings you modified back to what they were?

I'd also ask the question of does it happen AFTER the first time the login is slow? Is the slow down due to the policy being applied to the PC the first time?

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Mlichstein> Yes, I tried changing the policy back to what it was before the slowdown showed up. I even reset the Domain Policy to default and all the workstations are -still- slow to startup.

Markdmac> Yeah, it happens repeatedly, each and every time a client starts up.

Now that this has been suggested, I have to say that I also don't think this is due to Group Policies. However, NOTHING else has changed about the network. Nothing in DNS changed, nothing in AD changed, nothing in WINS changed. Furthermore, all the workstations pause for a really long time on the "Applying Security Policies" window before the login box, so what else could it be? Maybe its a corrupt Group Policy. Can anyone help me confirm if that's it?

Keep 'em comin', you guys. This is good stuff.

<<<<[flux]>>>>

If it hangs on applying group policy, there should be errors in the application logs of the clients. Check to see if there are any messages from userenv.

mlichstein> Ah haaaa... now that you mention it, I -do- have several 1202 events in my application event log. I'll look into these and figure out what's wrong on the Group Policies; so much of what I'm reading online points to misconfigured Group Policy for services on the server.

Wish me luck!

<<<<[flux]>>>>

I have a possible solution for this... I ran into this
problem where I work (15000 pc's running Win2k Pro) and
after we applies SP4, some of the machines stalled at the
'Applying Security Policy' screen. Here's how I fixed it
on those machines....

Power off PC.
Reboot in safe mode.
Reboot PC normally.

I know it sounds too simple to be true but these machines
were taking upwards of 30 mins to get past that screen and
after starting them in safe mode and rebooting without
making any changes whatsoever, the machines booted fine
on the next normal boot.

-Maj

Maj,

I'm not sure if that is logic being applied, or voodoo, but if it worked for you, awesome. I think, considering this was a few months ago, that I had figured out what was causing the problem. I've got Trend Micro's Officescan client installed on everyone's PC, and apparently there is a firewall component of Officescan that was hanging at startup. Once I turned that portion off, the logins are quick again.

You know, the thing I really hate about login issues is that it could be so many things; everyone's got a story to tell about their particular login problem. Sheesh.

<<<<[flux]>>>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back