Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

group policy applies from child domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandak7

Technical User
Sep 24, 2001
US
We are running a windows 2003 dc and a windows 2000 child domain. The child domain is located in our branch office.
If I run gpresult in a client computer in our main office,
I can see it says the group policy was appled from child domain and it shows the child domain name.

We are not running any gpo from child domain and all gpo are located in windows 2003 in main domain controller and why does it says that?
Thanks in Adavance
k7

You say:

If I run gpresult in a client computer in our main office

Where is the client computer located within the OU's? Is the client computer a member of the child domain? Is the user a member of the child domain?

Thankyou tfg13 for your reply.

All the users and ou are in the main domain controller. The main domain controller replicates all its active directory objects to child domain. So both the domain has same objects in active directory.Whenever we join a computer to the domain it adds to the main domain controller. Also I tested gpresults from couple of computers from our main office but it all says the gpo was from child domain.

Thanks

It sounds to me like you have one forest, and several domains. Is this correct?

If the 2003 server was the first domain controller in the forest, it will be considered the Global Controller (GC) and will replicate all settings to child domains. If not, I would consider looking to verify that the FSMO roles of the servers are set up properly. To assist you in this, check out these links:

I would also post this question in the following forum, as you'll probably get a better response:

forum931

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back