Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy and multiple domain controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBarnes

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2001
US
Does AD replicate the GPO's from one domain controller to the other controller in the same domain? If not what is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks

GPO are Stored in the SYSVOL/Domain Root FRS Share which is auto replicated accross the DC's.

AJ

===

Fatman Superstar (Andrew James)

CCNA, CCAI

Thanks that is what I thought. Mine is not doing that but I just noticed that they are on different service packs would this be the problem?

Thanks

I don't claim to be an AD expert, but I certainly woudlnt have thought that the service packs would be an issue. Is it the entire AD that isn't replicating or just the group policies? Try disabling an account on one DC, if it doesn't appear disabled on the other DC then it's the entire AD. What makes you think that it isn't replicating? Maybe one DC has custom .adm files that the other one hasn't got loaded, and therfore you can't see those settings? Just a thought, althought I might be well clear of the mark ;-)

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Get your Irish Poetry Published
Garten und Landschaftsbau

You may need to restore the sysvol folder from backup. Are there any events in the system log regarding this? How long have you noticed this to be the issue?

Run a DCDiag /v >Filename.txt to see if any AD replication issues come up. Something may be out of wack on this side of things also.

Good luck.

"Assumption is the mother of all f#%kups!

Service packs shouldn't make a difference as to IF the GPOs replicate.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

I found what the problem was. I had to "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore" registry parameter to 1 will cause the following recovery steps to be taken to automatically recover from this error state.
[1] At the first poll, which will occur in 5 minutes, this computer will be deleted from the replica set. If you do not want to wait 5 minutes, then run "net stop ntfrs" followed by "net start ntfrs" to restart the File Replication Service.
[2] At the poll following the deletion this computer will be re-added to the replica set. The re-addition will trigger a full tree sync for the replica set.

Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back