Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy and Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerbieIT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2003
US
I am currently using a GP to set my home page on all my computers at the domain level. I need to set an OU below it to a different home page but I can not.... They only way I see to set the home page is under the user portion of it. IS there a way to set it under the computer protion of it?

Thanks for any help!!!

One way of doing it is to remove the web page setting from your GPO then create a new gpo with just the web page settings and apply it lower down on the AD tree. When you get to the OU you want to have a different web page. Create another GPO with the different web page settings and apply it just to that OU.

Just as a word of caution. only ever apply domain policies at the domain lvl .. eg password length/type etc, and make it as small as possible with the fewest settings you can.

Im sure u probably did this but u know what management is like with 'can i change this here for this group?' which sounds like what has happened.

Hope this helps.

If you need user settings to be different based on what PC they log into then you need to use loopback processing.

Loopback is set in the computer configuration section
(Administrative Templates, System/Group Policy, Policy)

You can set the mode to replace or merge.

I leave it as an exercise to search for more information on loopback.

I monitor web site usage along with usernames in an effort to curb objectionable browsing activity. But, I have a group of machines that are tied to lab hardware and use a generic username/password to access the network. Problem is users are "anonymously" browsing under those accounts at those machines. I first moved them to their own OU and started looking at group policy IE options to block that activity. Found many options within IE, but I would like to block IE altogether (no browsing on those machines) with group policy. Can this be done?

es959 - should have started a different thread for this.

The general answer is to set a non-existant proxy server for those machines. Since that is a user setting that needs to be applied to computers then you will also need to use loopback processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back