Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group policies and Global Groups - Urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

coch

Technical User
Jul 4, 2002
GB
If I add a group policy to an OU and the only object in that OU is a Global Group with numerous members will the users have the group policy applied to them>>>

WILL NOT WORK

its all about contexts. That is:

for example, in your testdomain.com. your user is in the Users folder testdomain.com, and you create an OU, added to this ou a global group to it with your user as member of this group. created and linked policy to your ou.
ou with policy and containing your global group with "read and apply group persmissions" and run gpupdate results in: 0 results

why ?? your user in in a different context. it is located in testdomain.com and in ou.testdomain.com

your user will receive policy (inherentance) right from your domain NOT FROM YOU OU BECAUSE IT IS NOT LOCATED THERE.

Your user cannot exits, in Active Directory, in 2 different OU at the same time. (maybe you can you use an alias, is there any??)

try it yourself: (I DID !!)

i have an testdomain.com with ou and ou2

(so it would be, it?s context: ou.testdomain.com
ou2.testdomain.com)

create ou
create group policy and link it to ou
create in ou global group - give it "read + apply group policy permissions"
create in your domain an user (in Users folder)
add user to your global group (member)
run gpupdate

test -- will not work -- gp not applied to your user

now move your global group to another ou, for exapmle ou2 with no group policy (create it !!)
and now move your user to ou (with the group policy linked to it)

test -- works

ciao

thanks for the reponse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back