Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Paging over 3 systems via SCN...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristiandg

Programmer
Sep 27, 2002
US
Hello all...

I've got a customer that we just installed 3 systems for TIEd via SCN.

They want one short code to page at all 3 sites. I can't find any way to do this in the software, so my thought was to create a page group that goes off-hook on 3 UNIVERSAL PAGING ADAPTERS, which would take 3 stations off-hook that were programmed to HOTDIAL all 3 zone page codes, thus creating an analog conference. Annoying, cumberson, and sleazy, but.....

Any thoughts?

Kris G.

Some time ago I did a rig with Voicemail pro that allowed me to record the page and it did the dialing to each zone in quick succession. Another option is Paging over IP adapters sold by Valcom. The would make this work in a more straight-forward manner.
Mike

I thought of both options, but the VM Pro would function like a "feedback eliminator" and they wouldn't understand it. I think it would confuse them. However, that is my fall-back option.

The IP Adapter won't work because I need it to be a group on the switch, not an external page group.

Good thoughts though. ;)

Kris

Kris,
Any progress on this? We have just switched from Definity to IP Office at our location. We are attempting the same thing. I have installed 4 UPAMs. Of course the hunt group doesn't work because it simply connects to the first and the other locations create a dial tone over the speakers. Some sort of a conference call is needed. I would like to exclude the page origination location in the set-up.
thanks all

I think UPAMs would be fine. What you'd want to do is use a trunk port for paging, then bridge 3 or 4 analog ports to it. When the trunk port goes off-hook, that would go off-hook on all the analog ports, which would be programmed for the individual zones. The only problem I see is with bridging all those ports together, I'm guessing the audio quality would be awful, becuase of all that side-tone. I haven't done it though.

I was hoping for something more "officially supported" and less of a fuster-cluck.

Kris.

Ok, the best solution for this is to purchase the Valcom IP Paging solution. We have used this one time and works quite well. You have to have a main Valcom Ip Controller that would reside at the Main system that has the vmail. Then, you would put Zone units at each site. If you have multiple zones at one site, you will need multiple zone units (One for each zone). Obviously this works via IP protocol. Goto to the following link for the information:

Kris and others,
Excuse my ignorance as I was recently tossed into this position with minimal training. Our IP Office training was not conducted and will be scheduled "later". Currently I have all four page zones connected as consecutive analog ports and then to UPAMs. When they are called individually they work fine. When you mention connecting as trunk ports, then bridging, exactly how do I go about that? I have done bridge appearances on the old Definity and understand the concept. It sucks getting our tech info off the bathroom wall... but we will prevail!
thanks

I just re-read my previous post. It sounds as if I were referring to the participants of this forum.... I WAS NOT. I have learned more from here than all other sources! In fact, I told my tech contacts the same. Just wanted to clear up any possible misunderstandings and make sure no one was offended. My reference to "bathroom walls" was directed towards my other combined resources.. not this forum.
thanks

The only way to execute all page acrross scn networks is through the Ip solution I stated above on earlier post. As far as i know, its the only possible way. If someone else knows another way to do so, i would be very interested in how they accomplish this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back