Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Footer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hgg21

Programmer
Apr 25, 2002
SG
Hi,

I have this:

Group#1 Header (Suppressed)
Group#2 Header
Details (Suppressed)
Group#2 Footer (Suppressed)
Group#1 Footer

There's a page break in details with this formula:
{field} <> Next({field})

When I insert Group#1, the Group#1 Footer for the first set of data will always be on a new page or be on the same page as the second set of data. However, the Group#1 Footer for the second set of data is on the same page as the data. It is not a case as in overflow for the 1st set of data.

How do I make the Group#1 Footer right after the data?

It is urgent, please help!!
THanks!!

HI Ken,

thanks for the advice.

I shall try it now and let u know how it goes....

Cheers
Jerry

Several hours to get your data???

Copy and paste the SQL and send it to your dba, she/he should be able to optimize for it...hopefully.

If it's an old OLTP system, it may be that they don't have many indexes, and with lots of rows... Or as Ken suggests, they may have indexes optimized for other things, and the database is building a horrible execution plan.

If they allow it, getting the processing offloaded to a Stored Procedure will get the best performance.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

Hi, can u believe it?

I have let it run since yesterday morning till now (ard 26 hours has passed).....but it's still reading records.

This is after I have remove the groups which Ken suggested. If not I think it will still be accessing the database.

At least there are records.....

Jerry

Try changing the date portion of your record selection criteria to:

({Trade.TradeDate} >= DateTime (2001, 01, 01,00, 00, 00)
AND
{Trade.TradeDate} <= DateTime (2002, 02, 27, 23, 59, 59))

Note the parens around the criteria,and move it to the beginning of your record selection criteria.

Don't even bother running it, just check whether the SQL is now going to be passed BEFORE running it.

Let me know if that fails.

And don't give up on passing the SQL, this is absolutely KEY to performance, and that's probably why your performance is horrible.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back