Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group fields - Not All Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealDels

Programmer
Jul 26, 2001
AU
I want to group by a formula field. Some are available but not all.

This formula always produces a result
This formula always produces a number

This formula is one of the latest I've created
I have saved this formula
I have saved the report since creating it also.

Why can't I use it to group by ???? ie. Why is it not in the list of available formulas to select as a group parameter.

Thanks in advance.

Yours truly,
Desperate

Desparate,

What is the formula you are trying to use?

paulmarr@arcom.com.au

Crystal does't allow grouping by all data types. Try converting the field to a string: ToText(formula) and see if you can't group by that.

Lotsa Luck!

Databaseman Database Man
Defender of Life, Liberty and the pursuit of accurate database reporting! Follow my free tek-tip adventures at:

Perhaps you have an evaluation time function in your formula...like "WhilePrintingRecords"

These formulas are not available for grouping.

Jim

The only datatype that can't be used for Grouping is Memos. VarChars over 255 are also considered Memo's to CR.

The most likely problem is that your formula has a summary operation in it (Sum, Count, Max) or it relies on another formula that does. These can't be used for grouping.

Also, many formulas that use variables can't be used, because they often specify "WhilePrintingRecords". Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back