Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group date fields by month n pivot table 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

searlerm

MIS
Jul 28, 2001
GB
Hi

I have a pivot table with invoices by date & product quantities on each invoice. The raw data comes from Access using date/time a fields. I have grouped the invoices into days, months & then years using the group facility but this now prevents me from formatting the invoices dates as dd/mm/yyyy - it forces it to stay in dd-mmm.

Any suggestions please?

Rhanks

Richard

The first thing I would do is check the formating on that column. Make sure that it is set to format the way you want it.

PJ

Richard,

Duplicate the date in an adjacent column by reference.

Check the box in the querytable Data Range Parameters for copying adjacent formulas down.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac, lays awake all night wondering...
"Is there really a DOG?" [tongue][/sub]

Hi Guys - thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, neither of this seems to work for me. I have tried formatting the column, Field Settings/Number & even the cells but it keeps it as dd-mmm. However, when sorting on this field, it looks like it's treating this as text - e.g. 01-Dec, 01-Feb, 02-Dec, 02-Feb & so on.

When I referenced an extra column to the invoice date line outside of the pivot table it does the same thing!

I'm sure i must be missing something basic here!

Thanks again

Richard

Ohhhhhhhh, is your query result a pivot table?

Can you change your query to return NOT a pivot table and then do the pivot on this data?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac, lays awake all night wondering...

Hi Skip - yes it is as this appeared to get around the problem of having to set the source data range to exclude blanks. I have now set the query to return the data to a pivot table & to generate a pivot from there but it comes up with the same problems (plus the need to reset the source data range each refresh as Group on date doesn't like blanks)

Aarrrgh - I feel like I'm going round in circles!!

Thanks for your help

Richard

Set you calculated date field in Excel
[tt]
=if(isblank(TheDate),0,TheDate)
[/tt]
then Group on the NEW date (there will be no blanks) and exclude the bogus dates.

Skip,
[sub]

Or add your own calculated day, month and year fields to the query, and use those in the pivot table rather than using the pivot table's "Grouping

Thanks guys

I have actually now done a combination of month/date fields added to the query for one pivot table & grouping using Skip's formula for the others

Thanks again for your help

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back