Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group by Name 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

briesen

Technical User
May 13, 2008
US
I'm trying to group some data together in which I want to separate groups to be considered one. Below is a sample query, but basically I want LargeNail and SmallNail to be considered the group 'Nail'. The issue is that it just lists 'Nail' twice, with all the numbers separated. I want the two to add together. Is this possible?

Code:
SELECT  CASE WHEN (vtr.Type='LargeNail' OR vtr.Type='SmallNail') THEN 'Nail' ELSE vtr.Type END,

'Weight'=SUM(vtr.Weight),

'Total Cost'=SUM(vtr.TotalARAmt),

'Count'=COUNT(vtr.[Order Number])

FROM    DB.dbo.vtr

WHERE   vtr."CustomerShortName"='CUST'

AND (vtr."Billing Date">= CONVERT(DATETIME, '2010-09-01 00:00:00', 102))

AND (vtr."Billing Date"< DATEADD(MONTH, DATEDIFF(MONTH, 0, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP), 0))

AND vtr."Routed"=1

AND (vtr.Type='LargeNail' OR vtr.Type='SmallNail' OR vtr.Type='Screw') 

GROUP by vtr.Type

Try changing your group by like this:

Code:
SELECT  CASE WHEN (vtr.Type='LargeNail' OR vtr.Type='SmallNail') THEN 'Nail' ELSE vtr.Type END,
               'Weight'=SUM(vtr.Weight),
        'Total Cost'=SUM(vtr.TotalARAmt),
        'Count'=COUNT(vtr.[Order Number])
FROM    DB.dbo.vtr
        WHERE   vtr."CustomerShortName"='CUST'
        AND (vtr."Billing Date">= CONVERT(DATETIME, '2010-09-01 00:00:00', 102))
        AND (vtr."Billing Date"< DATEADD(MONTH, DATEDIFF(MONTH, 0, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP), 0))
        AND vtr."Routed"=1
        AND (vtr.Type='LargeNail' OR vtr.Type='SmallNail' OR vtr.Type='Screw') 
[!]GROUP by CASE WHEN (vtr.Type='LargeNail' OR vtr.Type='SmallNail') THEN 'Nail' ELSE vtr.Type END[/!]

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back