Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ground Start Co lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommoGuy101

Technical User
Nov 6, 2009
US
Hi All,
I have a prologix system with a TN747 with 8 ground start lines, assigned to trunk group 1.
These lines are used for incoming/outgoing lines.
The problem I am having is when 1 of the lines is accessed,
I try to dial out but I get another dial tone after dialing my destination number.
I have done a status of trunk 1 and I have noticed that a few of the lines are showing as disconnected.
The line in question does show disconnected but so do (2) other lines and they are working properly.
I have also noticed that when a call is received on the line that wont allow me to dial out on, has very low voice quality.
I believe that this lines trouble is a provider issue but I dont understand why some of the lines show as disconnected.
I did go directly to the demarc and tried to dial out on it and got the same results, andI removed the line from the switch and received a call on this line and the voice quality was still low.

Any help would be helpful.
Thank you,
CommoGuy101

Is there any old wiring in place, possibly going to an older phone system or anything else? Is the dmarc you are on the LEC dmarc or an extension from the LEC?

Make sure you have a good ground on the PBX. I had a "duh" moment a few years a go when I couldn't get some ground loop lines to start and it was because I hadn't connected the chassis to ground.

rtmckee

CM 4.0.4 (7 US locations)
CM 5.2 (India)
IP Office 5.0 (China)
Modular Messaging 3.1
CMS R3V11

make sure the pairs are not reversed. It has been a while but I believe you should see battery on one side of the pair comming from the CO. On the switch side you should see battery on the opposite side. If battery is facing battery the will not work. It does sound like you have a LEC problem with the low volume issue. Most grd start lines go through some type of gain unit in the CO or at a remote site. Call in a trouble.

Thank you all,
This was a provider issue and the problem has been solved.
CommoGuy101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back