Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Greyed-out STAND BY button (No HIBERNATE tab either)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2003
GB
On Turn-off Computer, the STAND BY button is greyed out. I've seen other problems like this and they suggest using Control Panel, Power Options to set the HIBERNATE option on - unfortunately there is no HIBERNATE tab available to me.
I suspect a missing file or registry entry or perhaps a BIOS setting - any ideas ????

Thanks
Norman Willcox

might not have enought hard drive space, need 700mb free atleast

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
I switched off my screen-saver (and I've also got 100+GB free), but neither worked.

Norman

I suspect an older machine that did not have a PM driver available or compatible with XP at the time of installation.

Please specify the manufacturer, and model of the machine, and what prior operating system was installed.

As well, use Device Manager, double click the My Computer icon, and see if there is a description of the power model currently being used by XP.

Did you ever have it? When did the problem begin.

I had a the same issue that you are having. I tryed everything to resolve it even a reinstall of my XP, then I finally found out that it was my Nortan Systam Works that was detecting and repairing my computer and removing the standby feature and the hibernation. If you have Systemworks just do unrepair and trouble shoot to find out what repair cancles these features

Thanks everyone.
I finally found out the answer - I upgraded from Windows XP home to XP pro. I shound have done a full install. It gave me other problems, such as not being able to creat an internet connection (dial-up modem was also greyed-out). A full install seemed to resolve all these problems.

Thanks again.

Another good example on doing a full fresh install.

Least you probably learned a few things =)

-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back