Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grey screen in Internet Explorer 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedone

Vendor
Sep 28, 2006
AU
Hi, a friend asked me to have a look at her laptop as she was trying to view some SAP training which is done in Shockwave. She just couldn't watch it. I checked our her laptop and found it was well out of date so ran Windows Update (on XP, now SP3 with all other updates available) which I thought would have a good chance of fixing it....it didn't. I then tried it on my brand new work laptop to find the same problem.

The problem is that it gives a plain grey screen and doesn't play the video. After lots of Googling I uninstalled, reinstalled Shockwave & restarted etc etc several times. This is both her and my laptops but it still wouldn't fix it.

I'm thinking it must be something to do with security settings in IE7 but I'm f*&@ed if I can find the tick box to tick/untick to fix it! I've enabled/disabled the ActiveX setting for Shockwave numerous times with no luck. I've lowered all security settings in IE but no luck.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I just installed Google Chrome Firefox and installed the Flash plugin for it and got a warning "Adobe Flash Player has stoped a potentially unsafe operation. The following local application on your computer or network: d:\folder\file.swf is trying to communicate with this Internet-enabled location: d:\folder\file.html. To let this application communicate with the Internet, click Settings. You must restart the application after changing your settings". Now I get the Player controls to show in Firefox but still no video. Chrome still doens't show anything.

Any ideas on how to fix this for IE especially but also the other browsers?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back