Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Greetings! I have setup "Outboun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael OConnor

Programmer
Sep 26, 2017
US
Greetings!

I have setup "Outbound Transfer" in my mailbox, but I just can't get it to work.
Turned on in COS.
Line Pool Assigned.
Turned on in mailbox.
Telephone number programmed.
When I call in to the tree and enter my mailbox, the display says Unassigned?
Doesn't seem like I missed anything... maybe a reboot?

Thanks!

Mike

If you call in to your AA and enter your ext, to use outbound transfer you need to press 7 when your greeting plays I believe. Are your lines in a pool? Are the lines set to supervised? I'm not sure where you are seeing Unassigned.

Yes all 3 lines are in Pool A... all have Supervision. And I have programmed "Outbound Transfer" (digit 7).

I call into the AA and enter my extension and I immediately get "Unassigned" in my display for 6 seconds, then the display reads "Line 3". See pic.

I've been installing and programming Nortel PBX's and Norstar Key Systems since the middle 80's... never saw this before.

Thanks!

Mike

Unassigned_vgb1lr.jpg

It is impossible to dial into a company and see text on your display that is related to the phone system your calling.
The only thing you should see on the display is the # that you dialed.

How exactly are you calling into AA?

Using your mobile phone, dial into your main #, wait for AA and listen to what happens.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Check list in full:
COS - Outbound YES
Mailbox - Admin - Add route # or pool #
Sets:
-Line Access - Allow Pool X = Y
-Capabilities -Allow Redirect = Y
Lines - Supervision = Y

In regards to Pools, what I always do which will also help to use External Forward at set level:

Build a route and a destination code and use that instead of Pool Access Codes (the lines will still use the "Pool")
If using 9 then remove 9 from "Access Codes"/"Pool A" , possibly also under "External Code" right there after in programming.
In Services/Routing use the default route 000 or build your own such as 001, have route 001 use Pool A and Absorb all.
Assign 9 to the Destination code and have it use your route #.
Sets should have access to Pool A.

Depending on setup/software etc might depend if you need to put a 9 in front of the dialed #.

Also when using External Forward at the set:
To make it easier to for the people that use External Forward, go into the route and add the phone number.
You would want to create 2 or 3 digit Dest #'s to go with it.
IE
Joe uses Dest code 81 route 081 - DialOut # = XXX-XXX-XXXX
Jane uses Dest code 82, route 082 - DialOut # = XXX-XXX-XXXY

Joe's process to forward phone:
Forward button, 81

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

It is impossible to dial into a company and see text on your display that is related to the phone system your calling.
The only thing you should see on the display is the # that you dialed.

How exactly are you calling into AA?

Using your mobile phone, dial into your main #, wait for AA and listen to what happens.

Impossible or not, I've included the picture.

I'm using an inside phone 7316e and I'm calling the AA from Line 3. When Line 1 answers, I dial my extension (314) and my 7316e display reads unassigned.

I thought it was referring to the Attendant being Unassigned, but the Attendant has been assigned in Table 1 and also in my mailbox.

I've programmed this feature dozens of times and I've never had this problem.

I've never had to "Allow Redirect Y". I have used Redirect in the past for Call Forward External, but never for "Outbound Transfer".

I've even tried to Outbound Transfer to an Extension. As soon as I press 7, it goes into an option Menu...

0 Message option
1 Reply
2 Play Envelope
3 Forward
4 Reply All
5 Compose
6 Delete
9 Send

I've also tried a 9 in front of the number, but the Mailbox is programmed to use "Pool 1", so it should go and access the pool for a line.

I'm stumped. I'm going to boot the Voice Mail and see if that makes any difference... Nope... no difference.

Thanks guys!

Mike

Testing using the line from the phone system to call back in to the phone system then to pick up a third line to dial out.
Maybe the system gets confused 🤷

So that’s 3 lines on the same system…..

Have you tried ringing in from a line not on the phone system so as only 2 lines get used.

Try calling internally from a different extension to your x314, getting your greeting and pressing 7 to see what happens? Your call should go out. It's been a while but I think when you're in your mailbox admin and press 8 there is an option to turn transfer on and off.

Are you using call pilot interface or norstar interface?

I am not saying it does NOT say Unassigned on your display, I just don't think it's the Norstar is giving that back to your display via line 1.
Rather it's (I guess) line 3 doing that as maybe it's confused, like us...lol

Regardless, if there is an issue calling out and then back in from the same group of lines then you always need to try from your mobile or another line such as the fax etc.
Your are trying to simulate an external caller so use an external device and let us know.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I've even tried "Outbound Transfer" to an extension and when I press 7, I'm getting a Menu...

0 Message option
1 Reply
2 Play Envelope
3 Forward
4 Reply All
5 Compose
6 Delete
9 Send

This is so weird.

Thanks!

Mike

Solution Found!!!

I've even tried "Outbound Transfer" to an extension and when I press 7, Voicemail says... you have started to enter a message command. Your choices are...

0 Message option
1 Reply
2 Play Envelope
3 Forward
4 Reply All
5 Compose
6 Delete
9 Send

How can Voicemail use 7 as the start of a message command (?) when that digit is being used for "Outbound Transfer"?

I've tried this from my cell phone, a 7316e on Line 3 (3 lines in the Pool) another extension x320 and Feature 980; nothing works.

Outbound Transfer is turned on in COS. I know you can customize the Feature Codes for Norstar Voicemail.

So, I went through all the digits...

1 Not Allowed
2 Not Allowed
3 Not Allowed
4 Not Allowed
5 Recording
6 Recording
7 Message options
8 Mailbox options
9 Outbound Transfer

Press 7 for Outbound Transfer is in the Norstar Voice Mail 4.0 Reference Guide on page 60 (pdf page 54).
Also the reference guide forgets to mention that in order to get to the "Add" command, you have to press #.
So in order for Link to work you have to press # then "Add" then "Other" then press the button below the octothorpe to include it in the string.
then you have to press 2 to add your telephone number.

Thanks for all your help guys. What a nightmare; and all over a typo.

Best,
Mike

This is so weird.

Thanks!

Mike

Thanks for that Phoneguy!!!

Don't know how it got switched. I never use the Call Pilot Interface.

Thanks!

Mike

I was thrown off when you read a "NAM" guide.

In future full details help:

Model of voicemail
?

"Are you using call pilot interface or norstar interface?"
"Using your mobile phone, dial into your main #, wait for AA and listen to what happens."
Unanswered

-Instead of using the Norstar transfer method your trying to use the line carriers LINK TRANSFER method, or enter special characters.
This was the most important clue

Glad it's fixed.
You should know that I am a really good typist, I only need one finger....but that one finger is getting more tired these days.

[clown]

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back