Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Green dots on screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

r2016

Technical User
Dec 11, 2005
US
Hi, I have a dell lcd monitor that is only a year old and I sometimes seem to be getting small green dots poping up on the screen especally in pictures. Anyone know what this might be?

It could be your video card. Try the monitor on another PC looking at the same picture and see what happens.

I am getting this EXACT problem and have been tearing my hair out over it for weeks. I'm using a Dell 19 inch LCD about 2 and a half years old now. Suddenly, these green dots appeared. I have tried everything to get rid of them.

- Reinstalled windows
- Reinstalled directX
- Used alternate drivers
- Reinstalled drivers for all multimedia addons

Nothing works! Still those same dots. They get worse over time too - more dots appear and when I move something on screen the dots streak. It is awful.

I have yet to look into:

- New cabling between monitor and video card
- New monitor
- Possible problem with the AGP slot?

If you are having any luck with this, PLEASE let me know, it is awful.

Are these not simply lazy LED's which can occur in both LCD Monitors & LCD Tv's? There is a EU standard regarding how much pixel drop out (or switch on) you are allowed.

It sounds like it is actually artifacts from the video card

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

i have the same problem heres a screenshot
window_screenshot.png

im using a 7800 GTX 512 GPU
Windows XP Pro
with latest drivers for video and nforce

Well, at least we can rule out the monitor itself. Lazy pixels don't generally show up on screenshots /wink.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

I agree with Johnthephoneguy, also if u need assurance, i work in testing image processing equipment and some our pc's video cards used to test the equipment produce similar artifacts. Replace your video card and all will be normal once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back