Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

great quotes heard around the world...tell me what you've heard! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

spewn

Programmer
May 7, 2001
i found this really good one right now:

"the net is not about technology, it's about people - a fact that is obvious to everyone except to we programmers."
- craig newmark (craigslist.org)

and...

truly great companies aren't built by the greedy, but by the passionate." - william gurley

and...

"i don't mind learning, i just don't like being taught." - winston churchill

just wanted to share...what good, thought provoking quotes have you heard?

- g

I think it was Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis who said -
"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done."

Margaret Mead -
"A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

John Dryden -
"Beware the fury of a patient man."

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

John Dryden (no relation that I know of) is most known (AFAIK) for this epitaph:

"Here lies my wife, Here let her lie, Now she's at rest, And so am I."

(His wife was not dead at the time.)

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Some of my favourites:

'Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once'

'A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour'

'We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. some have weird names, and all are different colours, but they all have to live in the same box'

'You may be only one person in the world but you may also be the world to one person'

Rgds, Geoff

Three things are certain. Death, taxes and lost data. DPlank is to blame

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Geoff,

Have a star! All four of those were terrific!

Tim

[blue]_____________________________________________________
If you need immediate assistance, please raise your hand.
If you are outside of Raleigh, raise your hand and say
[/blue] [red]Ooh! Ooh![/red]

One of my favorites is attributed to Linus van Pelt (Charles Shultz):

"I love Mankind. It's people I can't stand."

Tracy Dryden

Another Charles Schultz gem:

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!"

Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!

Here's a load of items I've had for ages:
"Who in their right mind would ever need more than 640k of ram!?" - Bill Gates, 1981

"Any serious graphics applications still run better on Apple's Macintosh platform..." - Bill Gates, 1991

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and
talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year."
-The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

"But what ... is it good for?"
-Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
-Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us."
-Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
-David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a 'C,' the idea must be feasible."
-A Yale University management professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service. (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?"
-H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.

"I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face and not Gary Cooper."
-Gary Cooper on his decision not to take the leading role in
"Gone With The Wind."

"A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make."
-Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields' Cookies.

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out."
-Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."
-Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

"If I had thought about it, I wouldn't have done the experiment. The literature was full of examples that said you can't do this."
-Spencer Silver on the work that led to the unique adhesives for 3-M "Post-It" Notepads.

"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'"
-Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get Atari and H-P interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer.

"Professor Goddard does not know the relation between action and reaction and the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react. He seems to lack the basic knowledge ladled out daily in high schools."
-1921 New York Times editorial about Robert Goddard's
revolutionary rocket work.

"You want to have consistent and uniform muscle development
across all of your muscles? It can't be done. It's just a fact of life. You just have to accept inconsistent muscle development as an unalterable condition of weight training."
-Response to Arthur Jones, who solved the "unsolvable" problem by inventing Nautilus.

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy."
-Drillers who Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist to his project to drill for oil in 1859.

"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau."
-Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929.

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value."
-Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon".
-Sir John Eric Ericksen, British surgeon, appointed Surgeon-Extraordinary to Queen Victoria 1873.

"I expect to win it. Sit back, put your feet up in front of the TV, relax and enjoy it. Let me do the worrying - that's what I get paid for."
-England manager Graham Taylor before the 1992 European championships. England didn't win a game.

"I have always found strangers sexy."
-Hugh Grant, six months before he was arrested with stranger Divine Brown.

"I would not wish to be Prime Minister, dear."
-Margaret Thatcher in 1973.

"That rainbow song's no good. Take it out."
-MGM memo after first showing of The Wizard Of Oz.

"You'd better learn secretarial skills or else get married."
-Modelling agency, rejecting Marilyn Monroe in 1944.

"Radio has no future." "X-rays are clearly a hoax". "The aeroplane is scientifically impossible."
-Royal Society president Lord Kelvin, 1897-9.

"You ought to go back to driving a truck."
-Concert manager, firing Elvis Presley in 1954.

"Forget it. No Civil War picture ever made a nickel."
-MGM executive, advising against investing in Gone With The Wind.

"Can't act. Can't sing. Slightly bald. Can dance a little."
-A film company's verdict on Fred Astaire's 1928 screen test.

"Very interesting, Whittle, my boy, but it will never work."
-Professor of Aeronautical Engineering at Cambridge, shown Frank Whittle's plan for the jet engine.

"There will be one million cases of AIDS in Britain by 1991."
-World Health Organisation in a 1989 report. It overestimated by 992,301 cases.

"The Beatles? They're on the wane."
-The Duke of Edinburgh in Canada, 1965. They went on to produce a string of No 1s.

"The atom bomb will never go off - and I speak as an expert in explosives."
-U.S. Admiral William Leahy in 1945.

"All saved from Titanic after collision."
-New York Evening Sun, April 15 1912.

"Brain work will cause women to go bald."
-Berlin professor, 1914.

"Television won't matter in your lifetime or mine."
-Radio Times editor Rex Lambert, 1936.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
-Charles Duell, director of the US Patent Office, 1899.

"And for the tourist who really wants to get away from it all, safaris in Vietnam."
-Newsweek magazine, predicting popular holidays for the late 1960s.

All these prove is that hindsight is a wonderful thing, and no sane individual would try and predict anything in the future.

John

Here's another one:

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside."
-Robert X. Cringely, Infoworld magazine.

John

For the record I believe the original wording for:

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it

was "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open one's mouth and remove all doubt".

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

I think you're right. It sounds better that way, too. Thanks.

Tracy Dryden

It's from a book, but still one of my favourites

Douglas Adams said:
"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."

From Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Gez

If you have a problem, if there's no one else to blame, and if you can find him, maybe you can blame... DPlank

Time I put that one back in the queue, thanks for that

cigless ...

My two favorite Jack Handy quotes:

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh, no," I said. "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down, he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.

An unintended consequence of the exponential proliferation of computing power has been the exponential proliferation of human error.

-variously attributed

Gilligan, singing, and feeling a bit defeatist...

Isle, be home for Christmas, ...

Tim

[green]love to know why that entered my brain in July[/green]

[blue]_____________________________________________________
If you need immediate assistance, please raise your hand.
If you are outside of Raleigh, raise your hand and say
[/blue] [red]Ooh! Ooh![/red]

My all time favorite quote, somebody can possibly tell me where its from or who said it or give me a star or whatever!

"My religion is to live life and die without regret"

Steve Budzynski

Steve,

Your quote is a slight variant of Tibet’s famous poet-saint, Milarepa, who said: “My religion is to live—and die—without regret.”

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back