Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Great plains installation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmic

Technical User
Jul 20, 2001
CA
K, Now I have a problem. One of my clients is running GP 7.5 with FRX and another module (can't remember what it is off the top of my head). It seems that it's running two versions of SQL. I know one is the pervasive 2000 desktop, and I think the other is mcsd desktop. I haven't dug into this problem as I had 2 other people lined up to do it.

Here's the problem, the people that were supposed to do the transfer backed out and left me hanging and I know of nobody else that could handle it... I installed a new server and left great plains on the original server. I need the great plains on the new server asap as the original server drives are going to die.

I've never installed GP before but I have no problems generally with attacking new software installations. Changing the server name isn't an option with this Domain Controller.

I know this is a loaded question but can anyone let me know what i'm in for with regards to sql?
Can anyone point me to any decent documentation in transferring great plains from server to server?
Would you advise a newbie to attempt this?

I have to dig in a little further and i'll post more back...

Any info you can give would help greatly...

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

ok, I feel like an idiot... Pervasive 2000 is loaded but not being used...

The one time that I have moved GP, I just made a backup of the databases, restored them on the new server and then had to recreate the SQL accounts and reapply security for the databases they were allowed to access before.

While searching for something else, I found a website ( that seems to have a decent walkthrough of how to keep all of the user passwords and such the same. May want to check it out. Just search for "How to transfer my existing Great Plains on MSDE install to a brand new server and maintain my Great Plains users and data?" on that page.

I will definitely do that... Thank you :)

There are only 2 users in the building so it shouldn't be too bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back