Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Great Link to Lab Setup (and a question for the pros)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcspine

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2008
US
Hello, I found this link by the CCNA Exam Cram author on how to setup a good lab.

I don't think I'll have much luck trying to ask him this question, so I'll ask it here.

For the CCNA, will it make a difference whether I have a 2501 with 16MB RAM and 16MB Flash instead of 32MB RAM and Flash as outlined in his diagram?

You will mainly be limited by the IOS that you can run. If you currently dont have any lab gear. I would recommend getting some 2600s instead.

Looking at the diagram he is only talking about the 2500 with 16mB flash. I know the CCNA changed some from when I took it, but for the 2500's were enough for me to do almost anything I needed.

CCNP, was a little different story. If you are looking at moving beyond the CCNA, I'd look at getting 2600s like brian suggests. Not saying that 2500 doesn't work for the CCNP, but there were a few things that I needed something a little beefier for.

You'll have a hard time trying to do the router-on-a-stick and VLAN stuff without a 2600...

Burt

For the current CCNA the router should be a minimum of 2600XM with 12.3 or preferably 12.4 IOS and SDM.

Well, at least one should be an XM for SDM...but a 1720 would work for SDM practice as well, and a lot more (1721 for vlans).

Burt

That reminds me...out of curiosity, has the addition of SDM made the CCNA easier? I just aced the Cisco Express Foundations for Field Engineers 642-382, and it had a lot of SDM crap that I flew through.

Burt

I think what I'm going to end up doing is getting the cheapest hardware setup for most of the material and then use dynamips for the rest of the material. So for Dynamips, I guess I would need two of the 2600XM 12.4 IOS Image or others that will contain the features needed?

But I know that Dynamips doesn't emulate switches, so
What about the switches? Do you think I'll have any trouble with an old WS-1924EN switch with any of the material.

I'm not planning on doing CCNP for at least 2 years, so I don't want to buy expensive equipment that will carry over into the CCNP track when the equipment won't be any good for CCNP when I actually get around to taking it.

No---1900 series switches are crap for the CCNA. I'd get at least 2912XL/2924XL, or 2950 (even better).

Burt

tcspine,

I have a 2924 XL-EN (all ports working in good shape) for $75 firm + shipping. Let me know.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back