Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gray picture box with words Embedded Postscript Image 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmr2

Technical User
Jul 3, 2004
US
I have a 22MB Photoshop EPS placed in Quark 6.0 that displays fine on my computer. However, the Printer I sent my file to says that it displays as a gray box with the words Embedded Postscript Image. Is this a memory problem on their end with their Quark or the way I saved my Photoshop file? Any suggestions around this?

I'm sorry, I should've been more clear with my posting. The "Printer" I was talking about was the "Off-Set Printer" or "Service Bureau" that I sent my file to. They can't view the image.

binary/ASCII encoding problem maybe?

a trick I used to do was to open the pic in PS, re-save as a TIFF WITHOUT CHANGING THE NAME and then when in Quark wrong type... would be displayed. this allowed updating of the picture which would maintain size/crop - bloody useful! if you change the name at all - you are stuffed... and will have to re-import, size the image and re-crop manually.

Kind Regards
Duncan

Have seen this problem a while back...used to be an issue when there wasn't enough memory allocated to Quark...used to happen when there was an huge amout of images in a file. The fix for this was to allocate more memory.

Memory is allocated differently under OSX, but if he doesn't have a bundle of it...maybe suggest he quits all other applications and just launches his QXP.

BD

Thanks. I'll suggest to him to try and launch only Quark. I thought it might be a memory problem, as I've also seen it before when I was using Quark 5 and fixed it by increasing memory.

I would also note that the file should still output correctly. Quark simply is not showing the preview. You will also see this if you save an eps with no preview. I know in Illustrator you have the option of selecting the preview type. If you select none, Quark will display what you have mentioned. The file will always show when printed.

Have also seen this with placing PDF files w/o preveiw....I'd start troubleshooting the EPS file......

The file is fine, it's strictly the preview that's showing you this. But it's mighty inconvenient when you want to move, change, reduce or rotate, etc. and you can't see what's happening. When you get this on a Mac, it's because the image was saved specifically as an ascii preview, and vice-versa. If you have Photoshop, open the image and save as with "tiff preview" -- it should then work fine on either platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back