Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphs Filtering 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

milak

Programmer
Oct 18, 2006
CA
I have report that consists of 1 list report and 10 graphs, and all of them are based on the same single query and filters. I need to restrict 3 of my graphs to report top 30 and another graph to report only 48 months of data. Can I do that without affecting the rest of the graphs and the report itself, since they use the same query?

Thank you in advance for your respond...

You can do what you want with a singular tabular model (I'm assuming Reportnet here, not C8) but you'll need different queries for different filters. Copy your original query, and in the copy/copies replace the tabular model with a tabular reference to the original query. Put whatever filters you need at the query level, and change the query property for each chart that needs different filtering to point to the appropriately filtered new query.
Steve

Thank you steve for your fast reply,
my problem is that i have to use the cache for the report results, and b/c of that i use only one query for entire thing once the database will bring me the data it will be used to create 1 report and 10 graphs, based on the single search criteria.
I have the same filtering for all 10 graphs and they are based on single query that is getting re-used. What should I do if 3 of these graphs need to have additional filtering? Can i use a cache from the query 1? Is it stored somewhere or I can specify some setting to restrict it base on the previous query? I do not know how to explain it better.
Mila.

Mila,
If I understand correctly, you want to hit the database just once, which is exactly what tabular references should allow. Your current tabular model generates sql to retrieve a result set from the db, which is used by your current query but can also be reused by adding queries with tabular references to your report (although you point the tabular reference to a query, it's really referencing the query's tabular object). The downside is that the additional filters you put in the new queries using the tabular references are processed locally by Reportnet, which can have a negative performance impact depending on the volume of data and the nature of the filters.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back