Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sventekkrishti

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
GB
Hi All,

A quick question which i'm sure has an obvious answer. If i set up a filter to monitor all web based traffic across my lan, is it possible in sniffer using one of the history graphs to report just on that filter ? Or is there a better way to achieve the same thing.

All help greatly appreciated.

--
Sven

I don't really understand the question.

If you create a monitor (So not a capture or display)filter it wil filter what you define in the filter. This will apply to all monitor functions as far as i am aware of. So also the history samples will be affected by this filter.
But what history would you like to use, just the amount off packets?. If you define your filter to only pass internet traffic, you don't have anything to compare with such as the total amount of traffic. That is something to keep in mind.

Robert Robert A.H. Wullems
Sniffer University Instructor
SCM / CNX / MCP
Citee Education
the Netherlands

Further to Robert's post, which is totaly correct, you can also use the in-built database collection for reports.
If you select and apply the monitor filter (in your instance HTTP and HTTPS traffic), if you enable the database options within "Database", "Options", sniffer will create csv files, based on the time period you have selected. The csv files are located with
C:\program files\nai\sniffernt\program\"profile"\"date"
It will then log the traffic over time for you.

Alternatively if you buy Sniffer Reporter, it will print pretty reports for you, one of the repors being applications amongst others!!
Alf

Thanks for your help with this guys. I'll define a monitor filter for HTTP and HTTPS and then as i understand it the reports will be based on that monitor filter. Does the dashboard also reflect this change ?

Where can i get hold of sniffer reporter ? I take it that's it a nai product ?

--
Sven

All the monitoring features including the Dashboard, Hosts, Matrix, History etc will be affected with a monitor filter.

Further to the above, any of the monitoring tabular screens within Sniffer can be exported into csv or txt formats.

To get hold of a copy of Sniffer Reporter v4.2, speak to your reseller or NAI Account Manager, or find one on the sniffer website
Alf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back