Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphing over time

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldopepper

Programmer
Nov 21, 2003
GB
I have a graph with number of orders made versus date.
The graph itself looks fine - you can see trends over time but because there are no labels on the time axis (they would be waaaay too busy to do this), you have no idea of even general time intervals. There are data points basically for every day, but it would be nice to put some general points on such as every week or month - is this possible?

If I understand you right, you are charting the numbers of order and date. The date values do not show up on the x axis because there are too many values to display (plz correct me if this is not the case)

So, to show some values on that X axis, try this:

Left click the X axis, choose "Chart Options"--> "Grid". Click the "Scales" Tab, (make sure you also click "Group Axis") Then click "Use Manual Setting for" and enter in a value. If your have one order per day and put in 7 for this value, it will put a data label on the x axis for each week (or 7 days..same thing). If you put in 14, it puts a label for every 14 days, etc....

Hope this helps.

Thanks - I have found the tab you mentioned but it mentions two boxes for "User Manual Setting For" - a minimum and maximum. I have tried leaving minumum as is and entering "30" in maximum but it makes no difference to the graph after I refresh the report.

Am I doing something wrong?

Opps, sorry...do this instead...
Left click the X axis, choose "Chart Options"--> "Grid". Click the "Labels" Tab, (make sure you also click "Group Axis") Then click "Use Manual Number of Groups"..and put in a number (like 30) for the "Between Labels Value"

Note: You may have to click back and forth between the "data axis tab" and the "group axis tab" for this setting to come up (seems like a quirk in CR9)

Hi,
I saw your posting from a few weeks ago...
I'm wanting to do a simliar thing to waldopepper, although I want 1 bar for each week on the graph not all 7 days.
Therefore the graph will have 4 bars, 1 for each week. I plan to run the report on the first monday of every month
Is this also possible ?

Hi rhoneyfi,

Just wondering if you know how to solve this problem in Crystal Reports for Visual Studio.Net. When I do as you have instructed and I try to enter '30' for the "Between Labels" value, it tells me the range is 1 to 3. Is there something else I need to do for .Net.

Thanks,
Kay.

Can you solve this for the opposite problem? I don't have data for every day, but want to display every day as a label. Right now only the days with orders are displayed.

Same - I want to graph the weekly totals however not every week has an amount, hence crystal does not display a column for that week.

I want it to show the last 4 weeks REGARDLES of whether there is data for each week ie if a week has no data, show the date and a total of 0 so that the report is consistant

I've got data by month. Input to the bar chart groups axis is a datetime value, ordered chronologically, always the first day of the month: 6/1/2005, 7/1/2005.

I would rather the chart labeled the groups in format "June 2005", "July 2005"--and kept chronological order.

The problem with manually formatting the x-axis labels would be there are many of these charts, which are dynamically generated in bulk each month, and holding up production each month so I could commute to the facility and edit one new label in each chart would not be desirable.

Suggestions toward a dynamic solution would be appreciated!

Crystal 11, XP Professional, SQL Server 8.

Hi,
I am using crystal report 10 in my .Net application. I generate the graph report it works fine. But i need to display month with year in x-axis line. I also defined it and it is also showing My data formate is like this (01/05 for Jan05, 02/05 for Feb05) But if user select the date range from Jan05 to Jan06. It shows the date in the following sequence. 01/05, 01/06, 02/05, 03/05.....
My client wants it to display all month of year 05 then it should start year 06. I tried but i couldn't found any way.
If any body has any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks,

ChristianWhite:

Can't guarantee this will work for you, but try making a formula:

monthname(month({table.date})) + " "+totext( year({table.date}),"0000")

Use this as your "on change of" field and then select "group order" and choose "Original Order".

Architech,

It looks like you are using a string for the month, so you could use something like:

totext(month({table.date}),"00") + "/" + right(totext(year({table.date}),0,""),2)

Then use original order. This will only work if the data was saved in date order in your database.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back