Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphics won't display in IE but will in Firefox 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

2madkatz

Technical User
May 12, 2008
For the past couple of weeks, graphics that I add to my website will not display in internet explorer, although they are fine in Firefox.

It started when I adjusted the positioning of a graphic that appears on every page. I adjusted it on the index page and when I displayed it in internet explorer it was gone! I moved it around to no avail, and in the end, I deleted the image and added it to the page again. No luck. This same image, located in the graphics file, displays fine on all the other pages it's been added to, and shows up on the index page on Firefox.

Today, I am making a new page which involves an image used as a table background. Again, the image shows up fine on Firefox, but is not there in internet explorer. These images are all jpeg images.

Obviously I pressed something I shouldn't have a couple of weeks ago! Anyone got any clue what it might have been and how I can unpress it??

I adjusted it on the index page and when I displayed it in internet explorer it was gone!
What did you do to adjust it?

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

Might be easier for us to guess if we could see the page. If we can't see the page then my guess is that it's on line 23 of your code [smile]

Steam Engine Prints

Thanks for your responses.

Greg - I just moved it a tiny bit, honest!! I was adding more stuff to the page, and it lengthened the page, and I just moved the graphic so it was still where I wanted it to be.

John - good try! But no, it's line 139 :) The webpage is
The unhappy graphic is at the bottom of the right-hand blue column - it's a sort of cut away graphic with faces in it, similar to the one on the banner. Of course, if you're looking in IE6 (I don't have IE7 so I can't be sure), it won't be there, but you can still see it on practically every other page on the site.

btw - I fixed the problem with the other graphic. Not really sure what I did but it's working now.

First supply your page with a full and valid doctype, then ensure that your page validates against that doctype. At the moment a validation check shows
You can get an intro to doctypes here:
You will always struggle with layout differences if your page does not validate. Come back when you have resolved this if you have any further problems

Steam Engine Prints

Thanks,
I've sorted the doctype, and the graphic has re-appeared. Of course, there are still loads of other things not validating properly, but it'll take me some time to sort all that out.

I blame Dreamweaver for allowing total amateurs like me to create websites without ever looking at a line of code! [smile]

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back