Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphics don't come through in emails (sometimes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theputt

Technical User
Nov 16, 2003
US
I had a friend ask me this question the other day. I have the same problem but always figured it was just me and I'd just "live with it." Obviously others have the same prob.

Sometimes when emails are forwarded/sent to me, the graphics don't come through and all I get are the outline boxes with the red X in the upper corner. Is this the fault of the sender or my setup? Don't remember if it's always the same senders or not, but I don't believe so. It usually happens when I'm on a hotmail email address of mine, but don't know if it's a prob. with hotmail or not. I don't use OE that often so it's not that.

Any idea what might cause this intermittent problem? Browser security settings? Hotmail settings? Headspace and timing settings on me?

Thanks for any help, ideas, etc.

Tom

Tools/Options/Security/Change Auto Download Settings/uncheck "Don't download pics ...".
Or when you get an email, simply select bar at top of email to download pics, it's safer.

Chris

Chris: Thanks for the reply. Upon rereading my post, I see that I was not clear in my writing. The problem appears when I use I am accessing my hotmail account using IE (6.0) not when using Outlook Express. I did go in and change the setting in OE, however, to allow downloading of graphics in HTML email. But a setting in OE probably won't do me any good while viewing email via IE, I wouldn't think. The thing that really makes it confusing is the fact that some messages get through with embedded graphics just fine while others don't. That leads me to think that perhaps the problem is with the sender's end of the transmission rather than mine. Make sense? Thanks for the help, though, I do appreciate the time and effort.

Tom

Oh. Have the sender change the settings to send as HTML. Might help.
Your welcome.
Sorry, but I don't use hotmail accounts.

Chris

Okay, I'll try that and see if it works. Thanks. I use hotmail for miscellaneous stuff where I don't care to give out my personal mail address.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back