Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphics Design source needed 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksoong

Programmer
Oct 3, 2000
CA
Hi everyone.

I'm an aspiring Graphical Designer. I don't have much skill. I can design basic graphics, like buttons etc. But I don't know how to do the fancy stuff that people do with masking, and all those other cool effects that I see around the web.

I don't even know where to start to learn all that I need to learn to become as good as those designers. I'm wondering if there are any good books, sources, web sites, or courses that anybody might be able to refer me to.

I'm also trying to figure out where they get all those nice photos from. Does anybody know? I know that they can take their own pictures, and some buy pics from companies. Are there any other places?

Thanks!

Ken

have a look at this post

thread229-70536 have a look at your local amazon. They have a lot of the tech books. You wil have to chose your book based on what type of things you want to do.

I would sugest doing some of the web tutorials available and then decide what other aspects you want to learn.

Manic -----------------------------
I've broken it again !!
-----------------------------

Hey my man,

An excellent source for learning photoshop, and design idea's is This guys site brought me up to speed with many concepts of the program, like layers masks, etc.... Check it out!

peace,

DES >:):O>

There are several FREE --- yes free - and substantial photoshop online courses in photoshop. Sue Chastain has one at about.com/graphicsoft - barnes and noble university (don't laugh) has one and there are a few others....I teach photoshop at several colleges. We use the Adobe Classroom in a Book as the primary text. We offer on-line classes as well for a small fee. $27 for an entire quarter for in-state students. We also offer in class for $27/quarter which is 12 weeks 3 hours a week. There are many online tutorials and as the other reply stated...many great books on Photoshop. There are also videos available. Good luck. Richard Lynch wrote Photoshop 6 Special Edition and accompanies it with a website and a discussion forum....another good resource. Have fun! Marcia

PS all the pretty photos....

I have a BA in Fine Art with a major in photography. At work (my other job is graphic designer with an internet company) we use stock photos we purchase from either or or several other companies. We often scan images we can't find through these sources and composite images from several sources.

Another good learning source are some of the photoshop magazines such as PEI - has great info and tutorials as does Photoshop User, but not really for the beginner!

Thanks everyone!
you guys have been so helpful!

If you can afford it, go to and buy their video series on Photoshop. You'll be up and running as an expert in no time. Otherwise, read the Help menu in Photoshop. Get Photoshop 6 Web Magic which is a quick and easy learning experience as well.

If you can afford it, go to and buy their video series on Photoshop. You'll be up and running as an expert in no time. Otherwise, read the Help menu in Photoshop. Get Photoshop 6 Web Magic which is a quick and easy learning experience as well.

Tried < According to intercept, there's no such link or website. Sure sounded like a good avenue to follow for learning some tricks of the trade. Any other ideas? The book and tutorials are helpful, but not as easy to follow as one would assume. Appreciate any assistance.
papaJoe32@aol.com

Well, I didn't bother with a lot of the books until I finally hit a wall.

I just dove in and if I saw something I liked, I tried to recreate it however I could. I learned PS inside and out (v. 4.0) that way. Then I started to see the really advanced stuff and had to start looking up the techniques in different books and such.

The most interesting one that I OWN is the Photoshop 5 WOW book. By learning how to create the effects in the examples they show, I started trying new things to get variations and try to break new ground. It's difficult cause everytime I think I did something astounding, I see someone's work who makes my images look like fingerpaints.

Use the daylights out of it. Mess things up and fix them again, you'll have it mastered in no time. ;) &quot;Absorb what is useful, discard what is not. Add what is uniquely your own.&quot; - Bruce Lee - The Tao of Jeet Kune Do

I volunteer for a non-profit organization and they asked me to create a poster about different holidays in the world. I think would be very interesting to use photos instead of creating something. The point is that they are not willing to spend money for the photos. Do you have a very good website where I can get free photos?? Or maybe another resource to find the photos. There are five different holidays included. It won't be a commercial poster. Is just to advertise the company event.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back