Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphics card not being recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay12345

Programmer
Jul 16, 2003
GB
I have recently upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro, whilst it was installing I was prompted to locate the file 'SISAGP.SYS'. I found a SYSAGP folder but it was empty so I canceled and the instalation process continued. After instalation everything seemed fine with XP Pro apart from the display being very sluggish, After checking it appears that the graphics card which is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 is not being recognised (when I right click on the desktop and go to Display/Settings it says Default monitor under 'Display:' rather than the name of the graphics card, it is not even showing the Display adapters option in the Device Manager.

I'm unsure whether the graphics card problem has anything to do with the SISAGP.SYS file being missing at instalation or whether I just need to do somthing simple to get the graphics card working.

Can anybody please help? my computer specs are:

Packard Bell I Media 5095
Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
512 RAM
Columbia 2 Motherboard

Hi,

sisAGP would surely have something to do with your videocard, only vidcards are agp.

I think the best thing to try are the new NVidia drivers from their site

Hi

I downloaded the latest driver from it seemed to install fine but after restarting it was exactly the same as before.

In the Display/Settings/Advanced/Adapter it says the adapter type is vgasave rather than NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440.

I'm confused as everything works fine in XP Home but not XP Pro.

Did a little search for you. maybe you should reinstall your mobo drivers, it looks like it's the agp controller driver that is missing.

If you got a intel mobo, go to the intelsite and download the inf drivers. If you got a Via chipset, what I think, then you must download the via drivers.

do you have the cd that came with the motherboard, if you have you should find the drivers on there

The problem seems to have been sorted.

I reinstalled the factory settings (xp home) and searched for the sisagp.sys file. Again there was a sisagp folder but it was empty HOWEVER there was a sisagp.sys file in the drivers folder.

I re-installed xp pro and when prompted to find sisagp.sys I directed it to the file in the drivers folder. Everything now seems to be working fine.

I suppose I should have had a good look when prompted to look for the file first time round but the phrase 'needle in a haystack' springs to mind.

Anyway thanks for all your help and I hope this message helps anyone with a similar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back