Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphics Card/Desktop Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

plotzer

Programmer
Aug 28, 2001
US
I am doing some development work on a windows 2000 server that was configured by our sys admins. Prior to this configuration I had the sever in my cube running windows xp professional. The server has a matrox millennium (g550?) graphics card. Prior to the windows 2000 install, I was able to set my desktop color resolution to 24 bit color. After the install, I can only get a max of 256 colors on the server. The sys admin assures me that this is the maximum available color for this card which I have disputed. I verified that the drivers for the graphics card are properly installed. I am not sure how to prove to the admin that there is semething not configured properly. The application I am running produced static jpeg images and this output is being affected by the low color resolution on the server. If anybody has any tips I would appreciate it. Thanks

My only suggestion would be to check the screen resolution. If you are using a higher resolution then it will have fewer colors available due to the amount of video memory available.

Also, if you are connecting to the server via Terminal Services instead of from the console, you will be limited to a 256 color setup.

Actually I am accessing via terminal services, so that may be the problem. My screen resolution is 1280 x 1024 so I would expect greater than 256 colors. So I should be able to alter the color/resolution on the server itself by directly logging into the box and setting the resolution there?

I will give that a try.

Thank you

Yes, you should be able to change the color depth from the console, but I think that Terminal Services will still limit you to 256 colors.

You're right. I was able to gain access to the terminal and set the res for my user account to 32bit color, but I was still only able to get 256 colors in the terminal. But this hasnt solved the root of my problem. I have a windows (vb) based application that creates static jpeg images. When I run this application in test on my computer the images are somewhat crisper than when i run the same code ( as a scheduled task) on the server in question. I am thinking that it is just the differences in graphics cards.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back