Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphical problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodge20

MIS
Jan 15, 2003
US
Windows XP Pro Dell Dimension 2400 is having some graphical problems.

Here is a screen shot of what it looks like.
screenshot.gif

As you notice the system tasks, details etc is all jumbled and there is a black bar to the right. This isn't the only place this happens, but just a pretty common example.

This is a screen shot right after a format/reinstall with the current display drivers downloaded from dell's website. I am not sure what is going on. I have even bought a new graphics card and installed that, but I am getting the same thing. I don't really know what else it could be. Any ideas?

Dodge20

You could try the alternative display option reachable via the Safe Mode screen. Enable VGA Mode: This option starts Windows in 640 x 480 mode, using the current video driver (not Vga.sys). This mode is useful if the display is configured for a setting that the monitor cannot display.

You could then try Safe Mode on its own without the VGA Mode.

Resources for troubleshooting display problems in Windows XP

How To Troubleshoot the Video Adapter Driver in Safe Mode in Windows XP

For Common Tasks issue:
Windows Explorer menu on desktop
thread779-1073234

Do you have a second monitor you can try?

You can also try reducing the hardware acceleration.

Graphic Properties / Troublshoot, slide the bar down. You will need to test the level on which it would seem to be fine.

In space, nobody can hear you click

Nothing has worked so far. I will keep searching though.

Dodge20

Has this machine ever worked correctly, if so, when did it start to go wrong?

Have you tried setting the Bios to the safe default settings? A Bios update may be available too?

Some Google links to look at.

Can a Dell 2400 be upgraded with an ATI radeon video card? If so, how do you install it?

I don't know if this is related or not but I can't do a windows update either. I manually downloaded and installed service pack 2, but that didn't help either. Here is the error I get when trying to do a windows update:

[Error number: 0x8024000E]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.

Dodge20

Do you have AV (AntiVirus) on your system. If so, turn it off, and try updating (flashing) your BIOS and then update Video drivers. And then turn AV back on run a full system scan. Assuming that you have a Genuine copy of Windows, you might have bugs preventing you to do an automated update.

This computer started with this graphical problems a few months ago. I figured the driver was corrupted so I decided it would be more beneficail to format and reinstall windows. It currently doesn't have any antivirus software. I have tried updating the BIOS, but that didn't work either. I don't even know what else it could be.

Dodge20

If you don't have any anti virus software then perhaps you ought to look at that side of things as a possible cause of trouble?

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Some information on your error number.

Have a look at the logs in your Windows folder called
WindowsUpdate.log, see if there are any clues in there.

Windows Update Troubleshooters.

817753 - Errors Occur When You Try to Install Updates from the Windows Update Web Site

Check out your RAM.

I had the same problem trying to do Windows Update right after I installed SP2 on one machine. I spent about 5 hours on the phone with Microsoft. They said to run MSCONFIG and click on Services tab. Disable everything. Then click the "Hide non MS apps" and enable everything that's left. I then rebooted, and was able to do Windows Update. I then determined that it was a device driver problem, and tracked it down to my SoundBlaster card. I called them, and they gave me a new driver. Microsoft said the most common problem with SP2 was that people didn't update their computer fully BEFORE installing SP2.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valued Professional (MVP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back