Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Granular management rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVANH

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2005
I have a server at a remote location that is connected to our main domain via a VPN connection. The administrator at the location needs to be able to manage that server but I do not want to give him full admin rights on the domain. I have setup a group that i placed the local admins into. I have setup an OU with all of their local users and a OU within that OU with all of their local computers including the server. I have given full admin rights on the Computer OU and some rights on the main OU for the management group. They claim they still do not have rights to share drives and connect printers to the print server. What else do I need to do to give them these privilidges without going all the way?

How about just giving them "local administrator" rights on the server? This will not give the local administrator rights to the domain, only on that server. It sounds like this is what you are attempting to do, just via Group Policy. Personally, I would either remote into the box, or remotely manage, and add the local admins into the local administrator's group (of the server).

This is probably a stupid question but, how do you give "local administrator" rights on a domain controller

You did not say anything about the server being a domain controller in your previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back