Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Granting Permissions to all users during install

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocoder

Programmer
Jun 21, 2010
US
I've got an application (an office add-in) built in VB.net 2005 that uses a couple of old VB6 dlls. I'm using VSI to create the deployment package. This application needs to be able to run for a non-admin user (but requiring admin rights to install is ok)

After I run the setup the add-in loads and runs. The first dll it calls works fine, the second causes error 70 permission denied. If I go in and manually grant full control rights to the user for that dll, the dll will run. (both these dlls are installed in the system folder and might be used by other applications.)

Since manually granting the rights is not an option for deployment, is it possible to do this with the installer? Maybe with a custom action?

I tried using the lockpermissions table of the msi to do this and it sort of worked for granting permissions but then the add-in didn't load into office anymore so obviously something else got broken.

ok, never mind...apparently I corrupted something on the test computer. Reinstalled Vista and it works fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back