Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grant permisiions to a stored procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simonbegg

MIS
Sep 17, 2002
GB
Hello All
Is it possible to grant db_owner (or any other admin role) permissions to a stored procedure, so that that specific procedure can run with "enhanced" permissions by a std user?

Cheers
Simon

No. Grant the necessary permissions to the user. SPs run under a security account and can only carry out actions which the account owner is allowed to carry.

If you grant Exec on a stored procedure, you are granting the rights to perform the actions in the AP to the user. THe exception is if you have used dynamic SQL (Which you should avoid if at all possible). Then you must grant the rights at the table/view level.

I haven't tried it, but I would also guess that if you have specifically denied the user or role permissions on a table, I believe that would take precedence over being given the execute permission on an SP which accesses that table.

I say this only because when permissions conflict, deny is generally given the higher precedence. I do know that if you have neither granted nor denied perssions to a table, the sp will execute if you grant Execute permissions.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back