Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grant Local Admin privileges to domain users? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgoodman00

Programmer
Jan 23, 2001
I want to be able to grant certain users local admin privileges to their computers. They have standard domain user accounts. I do not want to elevate their permissions within the domain, just on their local computer...

Any ideas?

James Goodman MCP

If it's just a few users, simply go to their computers, go to Control Panel/Users and Passwords and add their domain user accounts to the local admin group.

It can also be done via group policy at the server, but if it's just a few users, it would be simplier to just do it the above way.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I have what I believe to be the same question... does anyone know in group policies (the exact) location.... process.... to give local admin rights to a domain user?

thanks

In win2k you go to computer management under administrative tools.

The easiest way to accomplish this for a couple of users is to log on to the local machine as domain admin....go to command prompt (Start\Run\Cmd) and type:

net localgroup administrators domainname\username /add

James if you are running active directory you would need to create security grps for your users with every grp with levels of access.

Lets say all class 1 in the classonegrp, now make this group local admins and you should be fine.

Ö¿Ö

You cannot give the user admin rights with a GPO.

There is however a way through the login-script using WMI.

JPatrick,

Open Computer Management on the local PC. Expand Local Users and Groups, Dbl-click Groups. Right-click the Administrators groups and choose Properties. Click ADD and browse for the domain user you want to give Local Administrator rights to.

Patty [ponytails2]

If the permissions are copied from the domain controller, in order to use them at the local computer they must login like this ......

for example ... username = vbrocks@yourdomain.com
password = their Domain Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back