Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grandiose plan needs help: a guestbook? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonHare

Technical User
Aug 25, 2002
US
Dear Tekkies,
In a fit of inspiration, an idea for a website appeared to me. What could I do, but write it? The problem is that I am not sure of the best way to actually manage it.

My idea was to make it function like a "guestbook". My ISP doesn't allow form submission, so my original plan was just to brute-force collect responses by email and paste them into the response documents. What would be the most efficient way to manage this?

Yrs,
The MoonHare (moonhare@starband.net)
aka Patricia The Moonhare

save them as text files on the server and have the files read and uploaded to the page.
or get another isp! Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..

Dear DaRNCAT,
I double checked with the ISP and they said it was possible for them to change the settings. They also referred me to an example on the service.... it was an ASP guestbook. They recommended that I study that and figure out how to emulate it, they would support it. Someone from the ISP built the page.

I noticed that there are some free guestbook codes out there that look like they possibly could work. Maybe a bit easier for me to emulate as all the code is shown. (I am not fluent in anything beyond html, javascript, and CSS).

The other possibility is to write a client-side javascript form that gets all the data scripted for me, then asks the user to email it to me. I have never seen that done, but it sounds possible in theory. It might cramp people's writing styles.

Anyway, your suggested method IS the default.
thumbsup2.gif
Let's see if anything else turns up. The thing is -- Tek-Tips is all about people doing little things to make the world a better place!

Yours,
The MoonHare The Moonhare

That page looks like it's just a standard MS FrontPage template (although some Dreamweaver code seems to have popped in there too). This probably suggests that your ISP supports FrontPage extensions, so a lot of functionality is accessable from your pages. The easiest way to take advantage of this is, obviously, to use FrontPage, but if you don't want to splash out, there's a free stripped down version called FrontPage Express available. For more info:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back