Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grafting a server into a new tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borderline

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2002
US
We have a Netware 5 network and have been testing a Netware 6 server in a separate tree. Now that the tests have been completed, we would like to move the server into our company tree. The only way I know is dsmerge, but that's not how we wish to proceed. We don't need any of the objects created during the test phase. Can I remove the server from the test tree and place it our tree?

I don't think this is the recommended way, but if you get the server into the physical layout, in nwconfig you remove DS, and reinstall it from your existing tree. (I did this successfully in a production 4.11/4.2 environment.) Also make sure you have a backup of your NDS and you have your existing server(s) patched to the latest service pack.

Thanks Vlad,

I know the remove and reinstall proceedure, I tried it today moving a NW6 server into another NW6 tree, this is fairly easy. My concern is moving a NW6 server into a NW5 tree. Will the schema extend properly? The NW5 tree is at DS 8.78 with all the latest patches and server.exe. What do you think?

Al

Alain,

We want to avoid using DSMerge, especially knowing that our NW5 DS is at NDS 8.78 and the NW6 DS is at eDir 8.6.2. We also want the NW6 server in the same partition and OU as the NW5 servers. I know this can be done by installing a new server into the existing tree by preparing it with NWDeploy first.

I might want to make this a 2 step process, installing a new NW6 server into the tree temporarily as Novell recommends and then inserting the configured server and remove the first one.

Thanks for the help,

Al

Al,
Novell has been touting NW6's ability to be placed into an existing tree without worrying about DS incompatibilities. I've yet to hear of anyone who had problems inserting a NW6 server into an existing tree.

Bill ------------
Certified in absolutely nothing :)

That is true, if you follow the explicit proceedure. But we have a fully configured working server with iPrint, iFolder, etc. To move this server into our existing tree, requires removing DS from the server and installing the server into our existing tree. I'm just not sure this will work correctly. Novell does not recommend it.

I understand your point....

It makes sense to me that the only way to do this would be to remove DS from the server, then install DS and bring it into the existing tree. If that's not acceptable, though, you may have to ask Novell or find a TID.

Have you, by chance, asked this question in the Novell Support Forums? They're a pretty knowledgeable group of people.

Bill ------------
Certified in absolutely nothing :)

I want to try out the migration wizard for Netware 6 on a couple new server boxes but I don't have any experience using the wizard. I'm looking for opinions/experiences (pro/cons) using the migration wizard to go from Netware 5.1 to 6. How is Groupwise handled? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back