Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grab info from mstr Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGM2

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
US
Hello I have created a rule that issues a command in Address OPER. Also I have a DO While Queued loop right after the command is issued.
What I want to do is grab this output(that gets displayed) and validate it. Its my understanding that I cannot get this output from the external queue so I thought maybe I could grab it from opslog but thats where I am stuck.
Anyway help or alternative suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

I assume you're talking about an OPS/MVS rule and it's been a while since I had the pleasure of using it, but I believe you can trap the messages with an output trap if it doesn't queue the results.

Something like;
Code:
Call Outtrap 'RESP.'
Address 'OPER' "D J,L"
Call Outtrap 'OFF'
Do i = 1 to RESP.0
  say "Respline("i") = "RESP.i
end

Thanks KiwiRexxDude,
but unfortunately I got an error which read as:

"ERROR 43 COMPILING PTAPE, LINE 11: ROUTINE OUTTRAP NOT FOUND".

I am new to opsmvs and rexx for that matter. Do you think I got this error becuase the outtrap function is not available on our system?
Thanks!

Hi. Upone reflection I realised that you are trying to run this from a rule. OPS/MVS has 3 area's of execution - from a RULE (what you're doing), from OPSOSF (a TSO address space started task that runs alongside OPS/MVS), and from TSO itself.

From memory you can't make the RULE execution too interactive as it ties up the OPS/MVS started task so what you need to do is when you execute the rule, run another REXX in the OPSOSF address space and pass in parameters etc. You'll have to look in the manual for how to do this as I don't have one handy! That will allow you yo use the QUEUE - outtrap is actually for trapping screen output and not really used much in OPS/MVS.

Also, did you know you can write a REXX in any member of a dataset and execute it without saving using the !OI macro command? That might be handy if you're learning - write something to try a REXX command or syntax etc without having to save it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back