Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GPO partially applying 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmkman

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2005
US
I have a situation where a group policy is only partially being applied. I am trying to have the proxy settings pushed out to XP Clients no matter who logs on. I have placed the proxy settings in the UserConfig/Windows Settings/Internet Explorer Maintenance/Connection/Proxy Settings.

I have waited for the policy to refresh as well as enforced the policy to refresh. This part of the policy is not however being applied to the machine or the user.

Originally, I had placed this setting in the OU above the users. I have since created a new OU and placed a computer account in it and have tried to make this a computer setting but it still does not apply.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Use gpresult on the client machine to determien what other policies are being applied. Most likely another policy is setting the blank proxy.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

I'm having this same issue. I didn't realize it though until just recently. Initially, my proxy settings stuck and everything was working according to plan. Then, one day (who knows when), the policy just stopped applying. Now, my terminal server users are able to access the internet via the TS box, which is undesirable to me.

By the way, I've tinkered with this policy til I want to scream. I did everything from linking it to higher and lower OU's, to enforcing the policy, to placing it highest on the process list. To no avail.

Post here if you happen to find a solution, and I'll do the same!

You could be right. I found a while back that the one of the Terminal Services policies, specifically for redirecting local resources, DID tatoo the registry.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

Thanks Marcdmac for the command to look at other policies being applied. There was one that had restricted the use of the one I was attempting to place. I guess two people administering policies without notifying each other of what they were doing does create problems.

Thanks again.

Sorry markdmac for the misspelling on my thank you. I was too fast.

Thanks again.

Happy to be of service. Glad you got it working.

Your organization might want to look at ITIL training for change management control to avoid such pitfalls in the future.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back