Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GPO Issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resonate

Technical User
May 29, 2003
GB
I setup all my policys and its working good. However, when a client logs in the forst thing they see is an "policys in place restrict bla bla" message the same as the one you get when you try to show the display properties when its disabled.

Now obviously a policy i set is causing this but is there anyway to track down exactly which one without having to adjust every single one til it goes away?

Many thanks :)

I am not sure I understand what you are asking.

To have a step by step procedure to apply GPOs I don't know to exist such possibility.

For security part of the GPO you can use "Security Configuration and Analyses" mmc, that wil help you to restor, save, or use a predefined security template, or to make a report with differences between one and another.

Another trick is to use "gpresult" tool (from Resource Kit).
This tooll will tell you what GPOs are applied and which are those settings.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Hi,

Maybe i did not explain myself properly. I have set all my policies and am happy with them. However, when users log in one of the policys is causing the message to pop up saying "restrictions in place on this computer bla bla etc etc" Cant remember the exact wording but its the one that comes up when you try and go in to the display settings for example and its locked down and it wont let you in. Now, that message is obviously being generated by a policy I have created but the message appears immedieatly at log in before the user has even touched anything. So my question is. Is there any way to ascertain which policy is creating this message so i can correct the error? Can anyone think of any policy that would generate this message immediatly at log in without any user intervention?

Could be this...

Try going into Local Security Policy under Administrator Tools. Expand Security Settings -> Local policies -> Security Options. Under this there is a policy for "Message text for users attempting to log on". This will display a message when the user presses Ctrl-Alt-Del in order to logon. Perhaps the template you used for your policy had some default message explaining the policies to users logging on.
Let me know if this helps,

There is no error. That's the way some restrictions are applied and are behaving.
And, as I said, youc annnot take it step by step to see how they are applied.
If you know what is in the GPO, I'm sorry but you should not wat restrictions you add.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back