Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GPO for closing Messenger, Yahoo Messenger and AOL Chatting. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamuk

Technical User
May 12, 2006
US
Anyone have a link to a step-by-step procedure to close out which ports are used for chatting services. Specifically, MSN, Yahoo and AOL messengers.

I have been asked if there is a way to stop folks from accessing any sort of chatting services.

We have:
1. Peer to peer
2. 5 windows XP Home (fully patched)
3. Linksys VPN 4400N router.

I figured that there has to be a GPO I can do to each of the clients, as well as verify that all users are just standard, normal users (instead of Admin rights to the local computers).

Thanks,

Zam

Group Policy is not available on XP Home it is only available on XP Pro.

See if these are of use to you?

If you have a NTFS partition try these links to beef up Home to something more configurable that you may be able to use to block access.

You can access the Security tab of XP Home via Safe Mode. This would allow you to Deny access to the various .exes.

Set permissions for folders and files

I am greatful for your reply, Linney. I shall return this news to the office and press that Windows XP Pro be installed on all the Home editions.

Your links, btw, were of much help as well.

Once again, thank you sir.

Zam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back